Serotonin is a neurotransmitter with many functions, including the regulation of intestinal processes, mood, appetite, sleep, memory, and learning. Low levels of serotonin are associated with a range of conditions, including chronic and migraine headaches, chronic pain, fibromyalgia, and depression. There are antidepressant drugs that work by raising serotonin levels, but they are associated with adverse side effects. 5-HTP is an amino acid that occurs naturally in the body and is a precursor to serotonin. 5-HTP is converted into serotonin and studies show that supplementation can raise serotonin levels and reduce symptoms associated with low serotonin.
Take 1 capsule 3 times daily or as directed by a health care practitioner.
- Do not use if you have scleroderma.
- ALL USES: Consult a health care practitioner if symptoms persist or worsen. Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you are taking carbidopa or drugs / supplements with serotonergic activity. These may include, but are not limited to, L-tryptophan, S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe), St. John's wort, antidepressants, pain killers, over the counter cough & cold medication containing dextromethorphan, anti-nausea medication & anti-migraine medication. Discontinue use & consult a health care practitioner if you show signs of weakness, oral ulcers or abdominal pain accompanied by severe muscle pain or if you experience skin changes. SLEEP AID: Consult a health care practitioner if sleeplessness persists continuously for more than 3 weeks.
- Some people may experience drowsiness. Exercise caution if operating heavy machinery, driving a motor vehicle or involved in activities requiring mental alertness. Some people may experience diarrhea, nausea, vomiting & abdominal pain.
- 5-hydroxytryptophan from Griffonia simplicifolia seed : 100 mg
- Magnesium stearate (vegetable)
- dicalcium phosphate
- croscarmellose sodium
- silicon dioxide