Supplementation with antioxidants such as vitamins C and E has been growing rapidly in the past few years as research on harmful free radicals intensifies. AntiOxidant Formula offers a synergistic, broad spectrum of antioxidants designed to protect against free radical damage in every cell of the body. This formula offers a range of antioxidant nutrients to promote cellular health as well as support and enhance the body’s natural defense mechanisms against free radicals: the enzymes superoxide dismutase, catalase, and glutathione peroxidase. Recent research points to the fact that a synergistic combination of antioxidants is more effective than the total effect of each antioxidant taken alone. Milk thistle extract is derived from Silybum marianum fruit and standardized to contain 80% silymarin. Mixed carotenoids containing beta carotene, alpha carotene, zeaxanthin, cryptoxanthin and lutein are derived from D. salina (algae). Natural vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol succinate) is derived from soy. Riboflavin (B2) is derived from corn fermentation. N-acetyl-l-cysteine (NAC) is synthetically derived. Selenium and zinc are derived from limestone. Ascorbyl palmitate is derived from corn dextrose fermentation and palm oil.
Each vegetable capsule contains
- N-acetyl-l-cysteine (NAC) (free-form) (100 mg)
- Silybum marianum (milk thistle) extract (100 mg) (standardized to contain 80% silymarin)
- Ascorbyl palmitate (fat-soluble vitamin C) (100 mg)
- Mixed carotenoids (10,000 i.u.) (providing beta carotene, alpha carotene, zeaxanthin, cryptoxanthin and lutein)
- D-alpha tocopherol succinate (natural vitamin E) (100 i.u.)
- Selenium (selenomethionine) (100 mcg)
- Riboflavin (B2) (25 mg)
- Zinc (picolinate) (5 mg)
Other ingredients: gelatin beadlet.
Pure Encapsulations recommends 2–4 capsules per day, in divided doses, with meals.
If pregnant or lactating, consult your physician before taking this product. Rare side effects of n-acetyl-l-cysteine and milk thistle include headache, dry mouth, itching and dizziness. Milk thistle should be avoided by individuals with allergies to members of the aster (Compositea/Asteraceae) family. Some studies have reported that milk thistle extract can affect the way that the liver breaks down medications metabolized by the cytochrome P450 system, altering the effects of these medications and possibly the dose needed for treatment. Consult your physician for more information.
- Do not use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. If you are taking antibiotics, do not use this product. If you are taking nitroglycerin, do not use this product.
- Hypersensitivity, such as allergy, has been known to occur; in which case, discontinue use.
- Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you are a tobacco smoker or if symptoms persist or worsen. If you have kidney stones, consult a healthcare practitioner prior to use.